Successful people get the most help
In my experience, mentors have a bigger impact on your success than virtually anything you can do outside of your own efforts.
Building your career without mentors is like climbing Mt. Everest without a guide and a Sherpa. Read More
Who advances, and why?
A graduating student recently asked me, “What is the main difference between people who advance and people who don’t?”
One important idea
In thinking about this I was trying to find a single, practical idea that students could relate to, and actually do something about as they start their career. Read More
Scared is OK
Lately I have found myself telling a lot of people that it’s OK to be scared.
This often comes up when someone is considering delivering a big presentation, taking on a new project, or going for a promotion…or even just speaking up in meetings. Read More
Every month I do a webinar on a topic of business leadership and personal effectiveness as part of my membership program for business leaders.
This month’s webinar was on Stress, Productivity, and Happiness.
The live broadcast is always free an open to anyone. Read More
I’d like to make an announcement here on the blog, that I, Patty Azzarello, am not productive every single day.
I was sick this week and failed to get all kinds of things done that I had hoped to.
It got me thinking about blog post I wrote awhile back called “Your Brain on Stress…”
If you haven’t read it, it’s worth a read. Read More
I read a lot of good and useful books that I generally recommend, but most of them did not make this list.
These are the few books that when I read them, fundamentally changed my perspective on business and leadership forever after. Read More
Since this month’s upcoming webinar is on Developing Strategic Habits, I wanted to talk how becoming more valuable and being more strategic are connected.
What do I mean by “being strategic”?
- The opposite of reacting immediately and equally to everything
- Overall, big picture, business understanding
- Deciding on purpose, how you want to invest your time, and doing it
- Conceiving of, leading, and implementing necessary change and transformation
- Understanding investments, impact, outcomes, costs, risks and consequences
- Assessing the need for, and building support systems
- Achieving predictable success on long term projects and goals
- Evolving your role to meet changing business needs
- …always considering what adds the most value, not just working hard
What adds value? Read More
Career Development is one of those things that often gets a lot more talk than action.
It typically is a very highly ranked “want” on employee surveys.
As a manager, Career Development is tough to provide for a few reasons:
- Everyone is different, and every employee has different capabilities and goals
- When you are super-busy moving the business forward, it can be tough to spend time on
- It’s hard to figure out what to do!
Happy New Year everyone!
I told this story in a recent member call…
It was when I got my first real executive job. I was reporting directly to the GM of a billion dollar business.
I had multiple levels of management in my organization and I had global responsibility. Read More
First of all, Happy Holidays!!
If you are ready to start thinking about what you want next year… read on.
Otherwise, it will keep. Save this for later, and enjoy your time with vacation, family and friends.
This month’s Business Leaders’ webinar was on
NEXT YEAR’S CAREER PLAN
If you missed it you can
Download the Podcast
Download the whole Webinar
(which includes the presentation, and useful worksheets and templates.) Read More