Stop listening to other people
Every time I hear some highly successful person, whether they are business person, movie star, writer, professional athlete, artist or reality TV star say, “You have to love your work”, or “You have to follow your passion”, I get annoyed. Read More
This month’s webinar was on the topic of Managing Your Own Performance
If you missed it, you can download the recording.
This is a very useful webinar to download if you want to:
- Get your career and life goals in focus for next year
- Manage your own productivity better
- Get ready for a performance review with your boss
- Know how to proactively choose the right work to ensure your development
- Take consistent action on longer term career and business goals
NOVEMBER ONLY: Get $30 off on Membership
This webinar on Managing Your Own Performance is a great tool to help start the year with a strong plan. Read More
1. The Extra Team
Really successful people are successful because they get a lot of help, not because they are so good on their own that they don’t need help!
It’s important to think about how you work and learn.
I see (broadly, for the sake of this discussion) two types of people in their careers.
1. People who see their job description as a minimum requirement, and respond with the minimum effort to collect a paycheck. Read More
Who advances, and why?
A graduating student recently asked me, “What is the main difference between people who advance and people who don’t?”
One important idea
In thinking about this I was trying to find a single, practical idea that students could relate to, and actually do something about as they start their career. Read More
Scared is OK
Lately I have found myself telling a lot of people that it’s OK to be scared.
This often comes up when someone is considering delivering a big presentation, taking on a new project, or going for a promotion…or even just speaking up in meetings. Read More
Every month I do a webinar on a topic of business leadership and personal effectiveness as part of my membership program for business leaders.
This month’s webinar was on Stress, Productivity, and Happiness.
The live broadcast is always free an open to anyone. Read More
I read a lot of good and useful books that I generally recommend, but most of them did not make this list.
These are the few books that when I read them, fundamentally changed my perspective on business and leadership forever after. Read More
This month’s webinar was on
DEVELOPING STRATEGIC HABITS
If you missed it you can
Download the Podcast
Download the whole Webinar
(which includes the presentation, and useful worksheets and templates.)
(more information below)
This is a good webinar to download if you find yourself being drawn into tactical or administrative work too much of the time, or if you always feel too busy to accomplish important, longer-term things. Read More
Since this month’s upcoming webinar is on Developing Strategic Habits, I wanted to talk how becoming more valuable and being more strategic are connected.
What do I mean by “being strategic”?
- The opposite of reacting immediately and equally to everything
- Overall, big picture, business understanding
- Deciding on purpose, how you want to invest your time, and doing it
- Conceiving of, leading, and implementing necessary change and transformation
- Understanding investments, impact, outcomes, costs, risks and consequences
- Assessing the need for, and building support systems
- Achieving predictable success on long term projects and goals
- Evolving your role to meet changing business needs
- …always considering what adds the most value, not just working hard
What adds value? Read More